City Village – Coventry

Here you will find all the FAQs relevant to City Village student accommodation in Coventry.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to be a student?
Only full time students can live with Downing Students. You may be asked to provide proof of your student status and it is very important that you notify us immediately if this changes.
Do I need to be studying at a particular University or College?
As long as you are a full time student you do not have to study at a particular university or college to live in our accommodation.
Will I need to pay a deposit?
Yes, a deposit is required and will be held with the Deposit Protection Scheme. The deposit will be refundable at the end of your tenancy providing the property is left clean, damage free and in the same condition as at the start of your tenancy and that you have provided a copy of your Council Tax Exemption Certificate or your Registration Certificate. The deposit only becomes refundable at the end of the agreed tenancy, so if the main agreement is not completed we will consider the deposit as payment in lieu of expenses incurred. However, first year applicants with a conditional offer of a place (dependent on grades) will be refunded the deposit if they can show written confirmation from the University that they have not been successful in securing a place.
Do I need a Guarantor?
Yes, a Parent or legal Guardian resident in the UK must stand as Guarantor. The Guarantor is legally bound to pay any debts accrued during the tenancy if the tenant refuses to pay. Overseas Students who cannot provide a Guarantor please refer to the options provided on the payment tariff.
What if I fail my end of year exams/A Levels and the University does not offer me a place for September?
If you provide written evidence from the University, within SEVEN days of your results being published and no later than 1st September (which ever date is the sooner), that you do not have a place we will release you from the contract without penalty and refund the deposit paid. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
What if I cannot get a Visa to study in the UK?
Provided, you have NOT collected the keys, and that you have evidence in writing that your application has been refused we will release you from the tenancy and refund the deposit. If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you provide us with evidence that you have not been granted a VIS If you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find a student to rent your room.
Is there a cooling off/ cancellation period?
1. Unless you have already collected the keys to the accommodation, you may cancel your booking by writing or sending an e-mail to us at, under the following terms: An ‘Academic year’ covers the period 1st September to 31st August • Bookings made before the 31st August for the next ‘academic year’ 48 hours cancellation period If you chose to cancel your booking with Downing Students during the cancellation period we will retain £75 from the deposit paid in lieu of administration fees. • Bookings made in and for the current academic year there is no cancellation period. Subject to the cancellation period stated above once you have signed your tenancy agreement you will be legally bound by the terms stipulated in your tenancy document. 2. After your cancelation Period you will have to pay all amounts due under your Tenancy Agreement unless a replacement Tenant is found for your Room or you enter into a New Tenancy. If a replacement Tenant is found for your Room, we will release you from your Tenancy Agreement from the start date of the replacement Tenant’s new Tenancy Agreement. If you have occupied the Room prior to this, you will be charged £50.00 to cover our costs of preparing the Room for the replacement Tenant. If no replacement Tenant is found for your Room we will be entitled to retain your Security Deposit until all amounts due under your Tenancy Agreement have been paid. 3. No Place No Pay – Applicable to 1st year students and 1st year postgraduate students only. If you are a prospective first year undergraduate/postgraduate student and your offer of a place at your preferred University / Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University / Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades, you may be eligible to be released from this agreement. You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a different University because you have exceeded your expected grades. To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of: a written rejection letter from your chosen university /college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment. These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published. Please email the documentation to On receipt of the required documentation it will be verified and, provided we are satisfied, we will cancel your agreement and refund your deposit in full.