The Lyra – London
Here you will find all the FAQs relevant to The Lyra student accommodation in London.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to be a student?
Only full time students can live with Downing Students. You may be asked to provide proof of your student status and it is very important that you notify us immediately if this changes.
- Do I need to be studying at a particular University or College?
As long as you are a full time student you do not have to study at a particular university or college to live in our luxury student accommodation in London.
- Will I need to pay a deposit?
Yes, a deposit is required and will be held with the Deposit Protection Scheme. The deposit will be refundable at the end of your tenancy providing the property is left clean, damage free and in the same condition as at the start of your tenancy and that you have provided a copy of your Council Tax Exemption Certificate or your Registration Certificate. The deposit only becomes refundable at the end of the agreed tenancy, so if the main agreement is not completed we will consider the deposit as payment in lieu of expenses incurred. However, first year applicants with a conditional offer of a place (dependent on grades) will be refunded the deposit if they can show written confirmation from the University that they have not been successful in securing a place.
- Do I need a Guarantor?
Yes, a Parent or legal Guardian resident in the UK must stand as Guarantor. The Guarantor is legally bound to pay any debts accrued during the tenancy if the tenant refuses to pay. Overseas Students who cannot provide a Guarantor please refer to the options provided on the payment tariff on The Lyra page.
- What if I fail my end of year exams/A Levels and the University does not offer me a place for September?
If you provide written evidence from the University, within SEVEN days of your results being published and no later than 1st September (which ever date is the sooner), that you do not have a place we will release you from the contract without penalty and refund the deposit paid. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
- What if I cannot get a Visa to study in the UK?
If you cannot get a VISA to study in the UK: Provided that you have NOT collected the keys, and you have evidence in writing that your application has been refused, we will release you from the tenancy and refund the deposit, provided that you send this evidence to us within 1 week of your notification.
If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you send us with evidence that you have not been granted a VISA, provided that we receive the evidence in writing within 1 week of your notification. If you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find a student to rent your room.
- Is there a cooling off/ cancellation period?
1. An ‘Academic year’ covers the period 1st September to 31st August. Provided you haven’t collected the keys to the accommodation, you may be able to cancel your booking by writing or sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject to the following terms:
- For bookings made before the 31st July for the next ‘academic year’ you may cancel your booking within 48 hours from the time of booking. If you chose to cancel your booking with Downing Students during the cancellation period we will retain £75 from the deposit paid in lieu of administration fees.
- For Bookings made between the 1st and 31st of August for the next academic year you will not be able to cancel.
- Bookings made in and for the current academic year may not be cancelled.
- In the instance where a deposit is paid and the offer of accommodation is declined i.e. the tenant fails to manually or digitally sign a Tenancy Agreement , we will retain £75 from the deposit in lieu of administration charges.
Subject to the cancellation periods stated above once you have signed your tenancy agreement you will be legally bound by the terms stipulated in your tenancy document.
2. Once the Cancellation Period has expired or if you have collected the keys for your accommodation you will be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the Tenancy Agreement and will be liable to pay all the amounts due. You cannot terminate, or be released from your Tenancy, until such time another full time student has entered into an agreement, with Downing Students, to rent your room. Please note that a room can only be re let at the higher of the rent specified on the tenancy agreement and the current prevailing rent. This may not necessarily be the same as the rent specified on the outgoing tenant’s agreement. Any outstanding amounts on your account must be paid in full prior to the landlord agreeing to re let your room. You are not permitted to sub let your room; all rental agreements must be made through Downing Students. In order for Downing Students to re let your room you must complete a Re let form and administration charges will apply.
3. No Place No Pay: Provided you have not collected your keys the following will apply:- If your offer of a place at your preferred/current University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades or passing your end of year exams, you may be eligible to be released from this agreement. You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a different University because you have exceeded your expected grades. To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of:
a written rejection letter from your chosen university /college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or
a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment.
These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published or by 1st September (which ever date is the sooner). Please email the documentation to email@example.com. On receipt of the required documentation it will be verified and, provided we are satisfied, we will cancel your agreement and refund your deposit in full.
- What am I responsible for?
As the Tenant, you are responsible for the rent for the full duration of the ‘term’ as set out in the tenancy agreement, whether or not you reside on the property. NB: Where there has been any breach of the Tenancy Agreement by a student; such as where fees have not been paid in line with the agreement or where any student causes a nuisance or annoyance to fellow students or refuses to follow the reasonable direction of the management, the Landlord or their agents reserve the right to seek eviction of that tenant. This is without prejudice to any obligations which the tenant may be under through the agreement. Downing will also notify the relevant University who may take action under its Disciplinary Code in accordance with the Student Charter and its Code of Conduct. If you’re unfamiliar with the law and your legal obligations in relation to the tenancy, you should seek advice from a Solicitor, Accommodations Officer or Citizens Advice Bureau. When you sign the tenancy agreement we assume you are fully aware of your legal obligations. Click here to view a sample agreement.
- What does my rent include?
Your rent is inclusive of utilities i.e. light, heat and water, as well as internet and contents insurance.
- How will I pay my rent?
Rental is paid termly, in advance, by debit or credit card. To view payment options please refer to the payment tariff on The Lyra page. Tenancy agreements cannot be completed by the Landlord until your payment card details have been provided. This information is needed to complete your online booking and can be given by yourself or by your guarantor. Students who can’t provide a Guarantor who permanently resides in the UK, are required to pay their rent in advance in September, October and December. Please see tariff for more details. If you’re awaiting a student loan and can’t meet payments as scheduled you should contact us at least 48 hours (Monday to Friday) before the payment is due. You will be liable for all bank and administration charges incurred by the Landlord for failed payments and will be expected to reimburse the Landlord for these charges upon demand.
- What date are rental payments due?
Once you have signed for a room log on to the Downing Students Accommodation Hub to check your tenancy agreement for the due dates. If you are thinking about renting from Downing Students please view the payment option and dates on the payment tariff on The Lyra page.
- What if I cannot make my rent payment on time?
If you’re awaiting a student loan and can’t meet payments as scheduled you should contact us at least 48 hours (Monday to Friday) before the payment is due by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and attach correspondence to confirm the dates your student loan will be paid to you. You will be liable for all bank and administration charges incurred by the Landlord for failed payments and will be expected to reimburse the Landlord for these charges upon demand. To check the dates your rent payments are due please log in to Downing Student Accommodation Hub to check your tenancy agreement for the due dates.
- How do I change my payment details?
If you need to change your card details please telephone +44 (0)151 707 4398 and ask for our Accounts department. You will need to allow at least 3 working days (i.e Monday to Friday) for any requested changes to be processed. Please ensure that you have all the relevant information to hand when calling.
- How long will the tenancy be for?
- When can I move in?
You can move in on or after the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ as specified in your tenancy agreement. We will write to you near to the time with more information about collecting your keys and our Reception opening hours.
- When do I have to move out?
You have to vacate your accommodation by 11am on the ‘Tenancy End Date’ as specified in your agreement. Anything left in your room after this time will be removed and disposed of.
- What if I want to terminate my agreement and move out?
If you wish to terminate your tenancy, we must be notified in writing and you must complete our Re Let Form. You will remain responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found or until the end of the tenancy (whichever is sooner). We will aim to find a new tenant who is both acceptable to us and who is prepared to meet the financial and legal requirements of the tenancy agreement at the current prevailing rent. We can’t always guarantee finding another tenant, as obviously this becomes more difficult as the academic year progresses, however, you are able to suggest a replacement to us. Please note that you will also need to cover all administration charges incurred in reassigning the tenancy. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
- What do I need to bring?
All our Studios will be furnished but bedding and personal linen (sheets, duvets, pillows, towels etc.) is not provided. ‘Double’ size bedding is suitable for beds in all Studios. Beds measure approx. 140 x 200cm. All studios have Smart TV. All kitchens include microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge and freezer. Irons, ironing boards and vacuum cleaners are available. Kitchen utensils (crockery, cutlery, pans, etc.) are not provided. You will not be allowed to bring your own fridges, tumble dryers, portable heaters or other large electrical appliances. Chip pans and deep fat fryers are forbidden, as is the use of candles.
- How do I order a bedding or kitchen pack?
You can order kitchen and bedding packs online to be delivered direct to your accommodation. Visit UniKitOut.com where you’ll be able to order from a range of essentials packs to suite your needs. The range of packs include bedding, linen, towels, cooking equipment, crockery, cleaning and stationery. You will need to allow time for delivery so place your order as soon as possible! Remember to use discount code ‘DOWNING18′ at checkout to receive 10% off your order. Note: Double bedding is suitable for all 3/4 beds. You can find your specific bedding measurements in the FAQ section ‘What do I need to bring?’
- Can I store my belongings in my room, over the summer or after my tenancy has ended?
You must take all your possessions with you when you leave at the end of your tenancy, even if you are returning to the same room for another year after the holidays. We do not accept any responsibility for anything you leave behind and you may be charged for removal and disposal.
- The online system is asking me to 'PAY NOW' - what does this mean?
Don’t worry. By clicking on ‘Pay Now’ you are only submitting your details to the Card Processing Centre’s secure payment gateway. Payments will only be taken on the dates that have been specified.
- Where do I get a Council Tax Exemption Certificate or Registration Certificate?
This is usually given to you when you enroll at University, or you can apply to your Students Services/Registrations office.
- My Partner and I are both Students; can we share a room or Studio?
At the Lyra there are a limited number of Studios available for double occupancy for an extra charge.
- Can I live in a female only apartment?
The Lyra is studios only, therefore your accommodation is for single occupancy.
- How will I get to know other students at The Lyra?
As you look forward to moving into The Lyra you will probably want to find out who you are living with in your apartment or get to know other students in the building. Downing Students has private Facebook groups to help you. Please like our Downing Students Facebook page to be updated when the group is open.
- Is there Internet?
Superfast Internet (and WIFI) is included in your rent. In the unlikely event it’s not fast enough you can upgrade. Our internet is provided by Glide Student.
- Do I need insurance?
Contents insurance is included as part of your rental and is provided by Endsleigh Insurance. You can take a look at the policy terms and conditions and find out what’s covered here. Any enquiries about contents insurance must be directed to Endsleigh on 0330 3030 280.
- Do I need a TV Licence?
Yes, you will need a TV Licence. Anyone in the UK watching or recording television as it’s being broadcast or simulcast on any device – including mobiles, laptops and PCs – must, by law, be covered by a valid TV licence. Buying a TV Licence is your own responsibility and is not included in your rent.
- Can I have visitors?
Unless otherwise stated, bedrooms are for single occupation only. Occasional overnight visitors will be allowed, at the discretion of the management, provided that no disturbance or inconvenience is caused to other occupants. You will be held fully responsible for the actions and behaviour of your visitors.
- Can children stay/live with me?
Children cannot stay over or live in the property.
- Can I bring a pet?
Sorry, no pets are allowed.
- Is there Car Parking?
Unfortunately there is no car parking available on site.
- Is there a Cycle Store?
Yes, all our accommodation has ample storage for bicycles.