Terms and Conditions
Please see our policies below for more information
We hate to see you cancel your booking but we understand that factors may arise that lead to you having to cancel.
Cancellation policy (An ‘Academic year’ covers the period 1st September to 31st August)
- For bookings made between 1st October – 31st July for the forthcoming academic year commencing 1st September, you can cancel your booking in writing or by sending us an email within the 48 hours ‘cooling off period’ of accepting and completing your tenancy online.
- For bookings made after 1st August for the forthcoming academic year, there is no cooling off period and you cannot cancel your booking. (please see our re-letting policy)
- For bookings made during and for the current academic year (from 1st September to 31st August), you cannot cancel your booking once you have accepted the tenancy offer (either manually or digitally online)
- Please note that once you have received your key and checked in to your accommodation you cannot cancel your booking and you will be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the accepted Tenancy Agreement and will be liable to pay all the amounts due.
- If you do need to cancel you will need to follow our re-letting policy or meet the requirements of our No place, No Pay policy.
- In instances where a holding deposit has been paid and the tenant fails to manually or digitally complete the booking, or declines the tenancy offer, we reserve the right to retain the holding deposit in lieu of costs incurred.
Once you have booked and completed your tenancy agreement, you will be legally bound by the terms stipulated in the agreement.
After cooling-off period has expired
If the 48-hour cooling-off period has expired there are some scenarios where you may be able to cancel your booking if you meet the necessary requirements. These are:
No Place, No Pay Policy
If your offer of a place at your preferred/current University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades or passing your end of year exams, you may be eligible to be released from the tenancy agreement.
You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a University in a different city because you have exceeded your expected grades.
To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of:
- a written rejection letter from your chosen university /college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or
- a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment.
These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published or by 1st September (which ever date is the sooner). Please email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. On receipt of the required documentation, it will be verified and, provided we are satisfied, we will cancel your agreement and refund your holding deposit in full
If you cannot get a visa to study at a UK University (either on campus or online remote study) and you can provide written evidence that your visa and university application has been refused, we will release you from your tenancy agreement and make a full refund.
Evidence must be provided within one week of notifying us that you are unable to obtain a visa.
If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you provide the evidence that you have not been granted a VISA and/or do not have a place at a UK University.
If the tenancy has started and / or you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find another tenant to rent your room (please see our Re-letting policy)
You can cancel your booking in writing or by sending us an email within the 48 hours ‘cooling off period’ of accepting and completing your tenancy online, provided you have not collected the keys to your accommodation.. However, after the cooling off period you may be able to cancel if:
- You request to cancel two weeks before the summer tenancy start date
- And you provide evidence to support the cancellation e.g. no summer course, unable to meet conditions of offer
If you cannot provide evidence for cancellation:
- Downing Students reserve the right to retain the holding deposit in lieu of costs
- In the case where the summer let is cancelled by Downing Students the holding deposit will be refunded
Once you have signed and accepted your Tenancy Agreement, you are legally bound and it is your responsibility to adhere to the terms for the full duration of the contract. However, we understand circumstances may arise whereby you need to terminate the contract early. In order to do this, you must contact the Halls Management team to discuss reletting your accommodation and you must complete a re-letting form.
- You will remain responsible for the accommodation, rent and terms of your contract, until a new suitable tenant is found. If you relet your room, it must be for the full duration of the remaining tenancy agreement and for a minimum period of 8 weeks. Downing Students will endeavor to help you to find a new tenant. However, please note that we prioritise customers on our waitlist and our directly available rooms, before we will accept a referral from you or your agent
- Any outstanding amounts on your account must be paid in full before Downing Students agree to you re-letting your room.
- 48 hours are required between the re-letting tenant departing and new tenant arriving. The re-letting tenant is liable for this period
- A relet is complete when approved by Downing Students and when the new tenant has accepted their tenancy offer and paid any fees due
- Any discounts you may have benefited from will be cancelled and will not be transferred to the new tenant. Rental discounts or promotional offers are void when a contract is terminated early.
- Rooms will be relet at the prevailing rate as advertised on our website.
- If you relet your room, you will be charged £50 in lieu of administration costs incurred.
- Downing Students reserve the rights to deduct any fees/ rents from any credit balance on the account if applicable
- If a refund is owed, this will be processed and refunded via your original payment transactions.
- Downing Students will not sanction any relet whereby it is found the outgoing tenant is found to be profiteering from the reletting process.
Please note that your Tenancy agreement or contract does not permit you to sublet your room. Downing Students will only honour Tenancy agreements directly issued by them to the Tenant. Any persons residing in our accommodation who does not have a valid agreement issued to them directly by Downing Students will be asked to leave.
We do not permit the reselling of rooms.
We reserve the right to ask for a copy of passport and/or proof of student status information.
We want all our customers to be confident that they have booked a Downing Student room at our published rates. Booking one or more rooms with the intention of selling them to a student to profiteer is not permitted. Downing Students will take measures to ensure all our bookings at the time of sale are genuine. Where we have evidence that the booking has been made with the sole purpose of reselling/reletting for a fee the booking will be cancelled and accommodation reservation withdrawn and the holding deposit will be retained.
- When you complete your booking, you are agreeing to submit a Holding Deposit payment for your application. On acceptance of the tenancy offer the Holding Deposit will be deducted from the 1st rent payment and the rent account will be adjusted to reflect this.
- When you accept your offer you are also agreeing to authorise all future card payments under your tenancy agreement.
- You may submit such payments using a credit card or debit card.
- All credit/debit card holders are subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. If the issuer of the card refuses to authorise payment we will not accept your booking and we will not be responsible for any delay or non-availability in relation to the room. We are not obliged to inform you of the reason for the refusal.
- We are not responsible for the card issuer or bank charging you or the card-holder as a result of our processing of the credit/debit card payments in accordance with your booking.
Cash Back Promotion:
To qualify for the cash back the person making the referral (The ‘Referrer’) must have:
- Lived in a Downing Students property, for the duration of their tenancy (i.e. they did not cancel or re-let their room), in the preceding academic year for which the referred friend makes a booking
they must have completed a booking for a minimum of 39 weeks to live with Downing Students in the same academic year for which the referred friend (The Referee) has made a booking for a minimum of 39 weeks
- Provide their Downing student ID and full name to the referred friend.
- The referred friend must quote the promotion code as advertised and the referrer student ID in the promotion code field on the application form.
- The referred friend must complete a booking to live with Downing Students by 31st July prior to the start of the tenancy.
- The cash back will be credited back to The Referrer’s rent account within one month of The Referee’s start date and The Referee has paid the first rent instalment and collected their keys. Alternatively, if the Referrer is no longer living with Downing Students then they will receive cash back no later than 31st December in the academic year the Referred Friend had booked
- Should a booking that is made via a referral be cancelled or terminated, then the offer will be void.
- There is no restriction on the number of people The Referrer can refer
- ‘Refer a Friend’ offer applies to Referred friends who are new to Downing Students and who have not lived with Downing Student before
- The offer does not apply to a friend who applies to live with Downing Students at Atlas or in 3dio affordable rooms in Vega
The Referred Friends (‘The Referee’):
To qualify for the cash back offer, ‘The Referee’ must:
- Have never lived with Downing Students before
- Complete a booking for a minimum of 39 weeks or more by 31st July prior to the commencement of the tenancy
- Enter the promotion code as advertised and The Referrer’s Downing Student ID in the promotional code field on the application form at the time of booking
- Have complied with all the terms and conditions of their tenancy agreement and have no overdue payments on their account
- The cash back will be credited back to ‘The Referree’ tenants rent account within one month from when keys for the accommodation have been collected
- The cashback offer is only applicable to ‘The Referrer’ and ‘The Referree’ and is non-transferable
- Refer a friend is not applicable when booking to live as a group of three or more with Downing Students. Please see our alternative Group Booking promotion.
- The refer a friend promotion is only available to direct bookings. Customers who book through a Higher Education Institution nominations agreement or through an agent booking are not eligible for this offer
- Refer a friend cash back is not applicable for students applying to live at Atlas or in 3dio affordable rooms in Vega
- Downing Students reserves the rights to change or remove the promotional offer at any time
The following terms apply:
- An individual must book with a group and share a flat with a minimum of three bedrooms
- All tenancies must be for a minimum of 39 weeks tenancy period
- Customers will only qualify for the cash back offer if all members of the group have accepted their tenancy agreement for the same flat, for the same academic year and the booking status is complete for all
- To book as a group you must login to the resident portal and complete an application. You require a lead tenant to process the group booking
- The cash back will be credited to all tenant rent accounts within one month of the tenancy start date providing all tenancy terms have been adhered to.
- The cash back offer is only valid for all direct bookings with Downing Students. It does not apply for referral bookings through a third party e.g. a booking agent.
- This offer excludes any bookings made directly through universities or higher education institutions
- The promotion is available to both new and existing customers who look to book for following academic year
- The group booking promotion is not available for students living in studio or 3dio apartments at any Downing property.
- Downing Students reserves the rights to change or remove the promotional offer at any time
You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law. Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements. This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions. All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website. Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence. From time to time, this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s). Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
The photography/images used on the pages of our website are typical of our accommodation. The generic photography/images are indicative of what the accommodation looks like and room sizes, layouts, fixtures and furniture may vary. The soft furnishings used in the photography/videos are not included in our offering. For information about what you will get in each room, please refer to the features section of the property page. For new properties that are in the process of being built, computer-generated images or artist’s impressions may be used to represent what the properties will look like on completion. The content and footage within videos are correct at the time of filming. Imagery is illustrative of properties, rooms and facilities only and individual rooms may vary in layout and content.
Show flats are indicative of what the accommodation looks like and room sizes, layouts, fixtures and furniture may vary. The soft furnishings, decorative items, and kitchen utensils and crockery displayed are not included in our offering. For information about room types and what you will get in each room, please refer to the features section of the relevant property page.
Downing Students endeavours to provide exceptional service at all times.
We have a positive approach to complaints and regard complaints as an opportunity to receive feedback on our accommodation and services. Downing Students will strive to resolve complaints at the earliest point.
Downing Students will respond to all complaints in a professional manner. All complaints will be resolved promptly and we will endeavour to reach a satisfactory conclusion for both parties.
Downing Students will review how it delivers its service as a result of complaints that are received and will make changes and improvements where necessary.
HOW TO MAKE A COMPLAINT:
You can make a complaint in writing (by letter or email), by phone, or in person. We would encourage you to initially raise your complaint in person, either by phone or at Reception. Our staff will endeavour to resolve your complaint at this initial point of contact. If this is not possible then your complaint will be dealt with in accordance with the stages set out below.
All complaints must be made direct to the site that you have been dealing with. Any complaints that are sent to Head Office will be redirected to the relevant site for them to investigate in the first instance.
Stage 1 Complaints will initially be dealt with at Stage 1 by the relevant Halls Manager. Your complaint will be investigated and we will endeavour to provide a written response within 10 working days of receiving your complaint. If you do not believe that your complaint has been treated fairly and correctly you can escalate your complaint to Stage 2, however you must state why you do not think your complaint has been treated fairly or satisfactorily.
Stage 2 At Stage 2 your complaint will be investigated by the relevant Regional Manager. We will endeavour to provide a written response within 10 working days of receiving your complaint. If you still do not believe that your complaint has been treated fairly and correctly you can escalate your complaint to Stage 3, however you must state why you do not think your complaint has been treated fairly or satisfactorily.
Stage 3 Stage 3 is the final stage of the Complaints Procedure. At Stage 3 your complaint will be reviewed by the Head of Operations. They will notify you of their decision in writing, normally within 10 working days of receiving your complaint. Their decision is final – there is no further right of appeal within Downing Students.
If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint you can raise it with the ANUK Complaints Tribunal, https://www.nationalcode.org/forms/making-a-complaint. You must have exhausted our internal process before this is possible.
This privacy notice applies to personal data collected by Downing (including Downing Students) for the purpose of accommodation applications and management thereof. It does not apply to personal data collected by third parties through individuals, other organisations or via other websites.
Who we are:
Downing is a leader in the construction, development, provision and management of high quality purpose built student accommodation across the UK.
You may provide personal information to create an application and to set up payments with Downing. Personal information which you provide to us may be used in the following ways:
- To create and process an application for accommodation
- To allocate and create a tenancy agreement, lease or licence
- To create a payment schedule and process payments
- For audit and statistical analysis
- For events and offers
- For fraud prevention
- For debt collection
- For the provision of personal contents insurance cover.
We will use the information provided to create a tenancy agreement or licence offered by Downing. We will use the information to manage your account and to contact you when necessary throughout the duration of your contract. We may also check and share your information with local authorities, statutory bodies and in relation to Downing Students, education establishments such as colleges and universities.
Third party information.
We will share your information in the following ways and where necessary.
- To local councils, statutory bodies and universities as required.
- To insurance brokers in the provision of insurance
- To debt collection agents, our solicitors or Guarantor for outstanding debts.
- To the preferred internet / Wi-Fi service provider to Downing.
How long do we keep this data?
Unless there is a specific or legal requirement, we will not keep this date any longer than is necessary for the purpose it was collected or for which it may be further processed.
Your personal information:
You have the right to request access to your personal information.
You have the right to update your personal information.
You can do this by emailing email@example.com
If you have any queries or complaints about how we use your personal information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Downing Students are committed to providing services and environments which are free from discrimination, racism, bullying, harassment or victimisation. Our policy is to treat everyone with dignity, integrity and respect. Tenants cannot raise objections in relation to other persons, tenants or staff which are based on race, gender, ethnicity or nationality which are considered discriminatory in terms of equality and diversity.