Terms and Conditions – DOWNING sTUDENTS
You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law. Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements. This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions. All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website. Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence. From time to time, this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s). Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Video, photography and images
The photography/images used on the pages of our website are typical of our accommodation. The generic photography/images are indicative of what the accommodation looks like and room sizes, layouts, fixtures and furniture may vary. The soft furnishings used in the photography/videos are not included in our offering. For information about what you will get in each room, please refer to the features section of the property page. For new properties that are in the process of being built, computer-generated images or artist’s impressions may be used to represent what the properties will look like on completion. The content and footage within videos are correct at the time of filming. Imagery is illustrative of properties, rooms and facilities only and individual rooms may vary in layout and content.
1. An ‘Academic year’ covers the period 1st September to 31st August. Provided you haven’t collected the keys to the accommodation, you may be able to cancel your booking by writing or sending an email to us at email@example.com, subject to the following terms:
- For bookings made before the 31st July for the next ‘academic year’ you may cancel your booking within 48 hours from the time of booking. If you chose to cancel your booking with Downing Students during the cancellation period we will retain £50 from the deposit paid in lieu of administration fees.
- For Bookings made between the 1st and 31st of August for the next academic year you will not be able to cancel.
- Bookings made in and for the current academic year may not be cancelled.
- In the instance where a deposit is paid and the offer of accommodation is declined i.e. the tenant fails to manually or digitally sign a Tenancy Agreement , we will retain £50 from the deposit in lieu of administration charges.
Subject to the cancellation periods stated above once you have signed your tenancy agreement you will be legally bound by the terms stipulated in your tenancy document.
2. Once the Cancellation Period has expired or if you have collected the keys for your accommodation you will be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the Tenancy Agreement and will be liable to pay all the amounts due. You cannot terminate, or be released from your Tenancy, until such time another full time student has entered into an agreement, with Downing Students, to rent your room. Please note that a room can only be re let at the higher of the rent specified on the tenancy agreement and the current prevailing rent. This may not necessarily be the same as the rent specified on the outgoing tenant’s agreement. Any outstanding amounts on your account must be paid in full prior to the landlord agreeing to re let your room. You are not permitted to sub let your room; all rental agreements must be made through Downing Students. In order for Downing Students to re let your room you must complete a Re let form and administration charges will apply.
3. No Place No Pay: Provided you have not collected your keys the following will apply:- If your offer of a place at your preferred/current University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades or passing your end of year exams, you may be eligible to be released from this agreement. You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a different University because you have exceeded your expected grades. To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of:
- a written rejection letter from your chosen university /college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or
- a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment.
These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published or by 1st September (which ever date is the sooner). Please email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. On receipt of the required documentation it will be verified and, provided we are satisfied, we will cancel your agreement and refund your deposit in full.
4. If you cannot get a VISA to study in the UK: Provided that you have NOT collected the keys, and you have evidence in writing that your application has been refused, we will release you from the tenancy and refund the deposit, provided that you send this evidence to us within 1 week of your notification.
If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you send us with evidence that you have not been granted a VISA, provided that we receive the evidence in writing within 1 week of your notification. If you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find a student to rent your room.
PAYMENT OF BOOKING FEE/DEPOSIT AND AUTHORISATION OF FUTURE PAYMENT OF INSTALMENTS
1. When you complete your booking, you are agreeing to submit an up-front payment for the processing of your booking, which also acts as the deposit paid by you in relation to the AST (“Booking Fee/Deposit“), and to authorise the future payment of instalments in relation to the rent payable under the AST (“Future Payments“).
2. You may submit such payments using a credit card or debit card.
3. The prices of rooms are set out on the website and will be notified to you when you use the Online Booking Service.
4. You confirm that the credit/debit card that is being used is yours or that you have the authority of the card-holder to make the payments set out at Clause 1. All credit/debit card holders are subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. If the issuer of the card refuses to authorise payment we will not accept your booking and we will not be responsible for any delay or non-availability in relation to the room. We are not obliged to inform you of the reason for the refusal.
5. We are not responsible for the card issuer or bank charging you or the card-holder as a result of our processing of the credit/debit card payments in accordance with your booking.
RENTAL DISCOUNTS AND PROMOTIONAL OFFERS
1. Payment in Full Discount
Payment in full discount is only applicable when the following criteria is met:
a) You pay the full rental fees (minus the 1.5% discount) as specified in your tenancy agreement.
b) This payment is made on the due date specified in the tenancy agreement
c) You complete the full term as outlined in the tenancy agreement and do not re-let your room to another party during your tenancy.
If the above criteria is not met, the payment in full discount will not be applied to your account.
2. Rental Discount / Promotional offers
If you are offered a booking discount or qualify for any other promotional offer in respect of your rental, the booking discount or other promotional offer will only be applied to the rental specified in your tenancy document if the following criteria are met:-
a) all relevant paperwork is completed strictly within the period or periods specified in covering e-mails or letters to you;
b) there are no rental arrears on your account on the date the discount or promotional offer is to be applied;
c) you comply with all other qualifying conditions that have been notified to you.
Subject to the above, the discount or promotional offer will be applied to the final rental payment specified in your tenancy document. Offers are not transferrable and will become void if the agreement is terminated early.
3. Any specified discount or promotional offer is not to be used in conjunction with any other discount or promotional offer that may otherwise be available. This excepts any offer noted in point 1 above (full rental payment discount), which may be applied in conjunction with other discount or promotional offers
4. ‘Refer a Friend Offers’ will only apply to the property as advertised and to applications made in the Offer Period as advertised. To qualify for a ‘Refer a Friend Offer’ the following criteria will apply:
a) The Student making the referral (the ‘Referee’) must first have fully completed a tenancy agreement for the same Accommodation as specified in the offer prior to referring a friend (the ‘Referred’).
b) The Referred must not have previously made an application to, or resided in any properties owned or managed by Downing Students.
c) The Referred must then submit their application within the offer period, for the accommodation specified in the offer, using the Referee’s Downing Students ID and complete all the relevant paperwork strictly within the period or periods specified in covering e-mails or letters to them.
d) Provide there are no arrears on their account, The Referee will have the discount applied to their final payment as specified in their tenancy agreement, provided the Referred completes a Tenancy Agreement, pays a deposit and has submitted debit/ credit card details for the payment of their rent.
e) The offer will be void if the Referred is released from the Tenancy Agreement, for whatever reason, prior to the commencement date of their tenancy.
f) Any offer or discounts are not transferable.
g) Any agreed cash incentive or ‘cashback’ will be offset against the rental payments of the Referee. Where the account has been paid in full, payment will be made direct to the Referee’s bank account.
This privacy notice applies to personal data collected by Downing. It does not apply to personal data collected by third parties through individuals, other organisations or via other websites.
Who we are:
Downing is a leader in the construction, development, provision and management of high quality purpose built student accommodation across the UK.
You may provide personal information to create an application and to set up payments with Downing. Personal information which you provide to us may be used in the following ways:
- To create and process an application for accommodation
- To allocate and create a tenancy agreement, lease or licence
- To create a payment schedule and process payments
- For audit and statistical analysis
- For events and offers
- For fraud prevention
- For debt collection
- For the provision of personal contents insurance cover.
We will use the information provided to create a tenancy agreement or licence offered by Downing. We will use the information to manage your account and to contact you when necessary throughout the duration of your contract. We may also check and share your information with local authorities, statutory bodies and in relation to Downing Students, education establishments such as colleges and universities.
Third party information.
We will share your information in the following ways and where necessary.
- To local councils, statutory bodies and universities as required.
- To insurance brokers in the provision of insurance
- To debt collection agents, our solicitors or Guarantor for outstanding debts.
- To the preferred internet / Wi-Fi service provider to Downing.
How long do we keep this data?
Unless there is a specific or legal requirement we will not keep this date any longer than is necessary for the purpose it was collected or for which it may be further processed.
Your personal information:
You have the right to request access to your personal information.
You have the right to update your personal information.
You can do this by emailing email@example.com
If you have any queries or complaints about how we use your personal information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and Conditions – City Club Apartments
You may view the property without obligation. Once you submit an application and pay a deposit we assume that you intend to proceed with a tenancy with Downing Living.
- Tenancy: The property is let on an ‘Assured shorthold tenancy.’ (AST) Please see sample tenancy)
- ID: Each adult must complete an application form and provide a current form of photo ID in line with the Right to Rent check legislation.
- Costs: If you do not proceed with a tenancy or you cancel the application, you may incur charges for administration costs. If the Landlord cancels the application (for any reason) you will be refunded any deposit paid.
- Deposit: A deposit must be paid to reserve the property. The deposit will be held as a damage deposit upon acceptance of the (AST) and is refundable in accordance with the terms and conditions of the application and tenancy agreement.
- The Tenant: The tenant is responsible for the tenancy and rent whether or not they reside on the property for the full term of the agreement as specified in the tenancy terms and conditions and as outlined in the AST.
- Guarantor: A UK based Guarantor is required for each tenancy to guarantee the terms and conditions and rent paid for the tenancy in accordance with the tenancy agreement. (not applicable to international students.)
- Confirmation: You will receive an email to confirm receipt of your application and deposit paid.
- Allocation: You will be allocated a property as requested and the allocation will be held for 2 weeks whilst the relevant references and rent checks are completed
- References: References and credit checks will be undertaken for each applicant. Upon completion of all references and checks we will contact you with the tenancy offer, the terms and conditions of the tenancy and details of how we protect your deposit.
- Right to Rent: Right to Rent checks are a legal requirement for Landlords (and / or) agents to be completed when renting private accommodation. All prospective tenants must provide relevant acceptable documents to confirm their right to rent in the UK.
- Insurance: Personal contents insurance is included in the rent with Endsleigh Insurance. You have the option to review and upgrade the policy (as you choose).
- No Smoking: There is a No Smoking policy in operation throughout all Downing Living properties
- Inspections: Inspections of the property will be conducted from time to time for Health and Safety and maintenance/facility reasons. (Advance notice will be given in accordance with the tenancy, unless there is an Emergency situation when Emergency access is required)
- Repairs: Downing Living offer a maintenance support team and out of hours emergency contact.
- Pets are not allowed
- Keys: Keys will only be issued to the person or persons specified in the tenancy agreement.
- Breach of Tenancy: Where there has been a breach of the tenancy agreement (including the non-payment of rent) the Landlord or its agent reserve the right to seek eviction of the tenants but without prejudice to any obligations which the tenant may have under by virtue of the agreement.
- Property: Every effort is made to ensure that the property information provided is correct. If you are unsure about the property please contact Downing Living. Please note that show-flat soft furnishing are for display purposes only and will not be provided in the rented apartments.
- The Law: If you are unfamiliar with the law and your legal obligations in relation to the tenancy offered and terms and conditions, you should seek legal advice either from a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau.
Downing Student Life
Keep up to date with the latest student news with the Downing Student Blog. We’ve created this space for you to get the best advice about the things that matter most to you. Find up to date information on student news, student discounts and insider tips on your chosen student city. We’ve created this blog as your survival pack. It’s jam packed with all the essentials you’ll need during your time at University.