10 of the best things to do in South London
By Sophie Anderson on August 20th, 2021
University is, of course, for learning, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy yourself as well! If you’re heading to Pound Field, Atlas, or our latest stunning development Vega, there’s lots of fun things to do right on your doorstep to keep you entertained when you’re not in class or taking advantage of one of your roof terrace or communal social areas at your accommodation building. Here are some of our favourites, and don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for more recommendations, events and handy tips for having the best university experience!
- Grab a bite and a beer at Vauxhall Food & Beer Garden: located below the train arches of Vauxhall and just a stone’s throw away from Vega, this gem serves unique interpretations of street food classics, as well as creative new dishes and a range of alcoholic and soft drinks. What’s more, they have a packed events calendar with something for everyone, including drag bingo and themed bottomless brunches!
- Cuddle some cute animals at Vauxhall City Farm: experience the best of rural life in a surprising city centre location at this cute urban farm. From feeding and petting animals, riding horses and ponies, and even adoption options with prearranged meet and greets, you can live out your country dreams right on your doorstep.
- Chill out in Vauxhall Park: this beautiful park has sat at the heart of the community for over 125 years, and has won the Green Flag Award as one of the best green spaces in the entire country. You’ll find tennis courts, chess tables, a sports field, a model village to explore and plenty of greenery to sit and relax in, or to enjoy with friends!
- Soak up the culture at Tate Britain: just across the river via Vauxhall Bridge you’ll find the Tate Britain, jam packed full of galleries and exhibitions to feast your eyes on. Admission is free (with a charge for certain exhibitions) and there’s even a cute café serving up tasty treats.
- Drink on the river at Tamesis Dock: this 1930s Dutch barge, which has been permanently moored between Lambeth and Vauxhall Bridge and converted into a pub, provides a quirky backdrop for a drink with friends. With regular live music and events, and serving a variety of food and drink, this is a must for those living in London.
- Dance the night away at Lightbox: also located under the railway arches of Vauxhall, Lightbox is known for its stunning light shows and music that will keep you dancing all through the night. What’s more, if you need a breather, there’s a large garden for you to enjoy!
- Sample the range of coffees at The Black Cab Coffee Company: for locally sourced produce and artisan coffee, look no further than The Black Cab Coffee Company Co, which offers light bites, breakfasts, home roasted coffee beans and a range of coffee blends you can drink in or take home with you.
- Go bouldering at Vauxwall Climbing: no, that isn’t a typo – Vauxwall Climbing is a centre for thrill seekers and beginners alike who want to experience a new kind of exercise. You can pre-book an indoor climbing session, register as a member, or just show up and climb!
- Relax at Floatworks: rest and recuperation is important, and where better to do this than Floatworks, a floatation tank experience designed to increase mental and physical wellbeing, promote better sleep and relieve any aches and pains.
- Enjoy a Dirty Burger: known to many as the best burgers in London, Dirty Burger offers a range of shakes, burgers, bacon and sides, with non-meat options for the veggies among us! They also offer delivery, if you don’t fancy leaving your apartment that day.
Let us know if you try any of these out, and don’t forget, each of our Downing Student buildings features amazing communal facilities including a gym, residents lounge and roof terrace, so even if you don’t fancy going out, you’ll still have lots of opportunity to have fun and socialise!
Downing Student Life
Visit our blog