Situated in the heart of the university district next to both the University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University, CitySide is the perfect accommodation for students of Leeds College of Art, Leeds College of Music and Leeds University of Law.
No matter where you study, CitySide student flats in Leeds are convenient for everything that Leeds has to offer, with all major transport links close by and the fabulous shopping centre just a 5 minute walk away. With a great choice of studio apartments and shared flats with en-suite bedrooms, there’s something for every student. Our all-inclusive rent makes it fantastic value, so there are no bills to worry about. This includes access to high speed broadband and Wi-Fi throughout, as well as contents insurance and use of the onsite gym.
- This Property
- Points of interest
CitySide address:Calverley Street, Leeds LS1 3EY
Unable to visit CitySide? Take our virtual tour!
No unexpected costs – rent covers water, light and heat.
Get superfast internet connection speeds throughout the building.
Secure entry systems, CCTV and a well trained team offering support 24/7.
Insurance on your belongings comes included with your rent.
Enjoy a film in your dedicated viewing space.
Smart TV available in your room
A great social space for you to relax and make new friends.
Study with other residents or book the private space to work in a group.
Distance to Leeds Universities
Less than 5 minutes from University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University
Find the day-to-day facilities you need housed within the building.
Frequently Asked Questions
All FAQs for this property are listed below.
As long as you are a full time student you do not have to study at a particular university or college to live in our accommodation.
What if I fail my end of year exams/A Levels and the University does not offer me a place for September?
If you provide written evidence from the University, within SEVEN days of your results being published and no later than 1st September (which ever date is the sooner), that you do not have a place we will release you from the contract without penalty and refund the deposit paid. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
Only full time students can live with Downing Students. You may be asked to provide proof of your student status and it is very important that you notify us immediately if this changes.
Provided, you have NOT collected the keys, and that you have evidence in writing that your application has been refused we will release you from the tenancy and refund the deposit. If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you provide us with evidence that you have not been granted a VISA If you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find a student to rent your room.
Internet (and WIFI) is included in your rent. In the unlikely event it’s not fast enough you can upgrade.
Please see the information below:
- Glide Internet Base Speed = 100Mbit/s (based on connection using a wired ethernet cable)
- Median Speed = 33.4Mbit/s based on WIFI connection to the 5.0GHz bandwidth – WIFI connection on the 2.4Ghz bandwidth will be less
Median Speed (assumes the device being used operates a single special stream) – i.e. the lowest speed that you will achieve for your devices 50% of the time, based on measurements during peak hours of 8pm until 10pm, in accordance with Ofcom guidance.
Sometimes you will achieve more than this and sometimes less. Speeds will typically range from 40Mbps to 120Mbps – Upload speeds will be similar.
Please note that some devices such as premium laptops (operating dual special streams) will achieve considerably higher speeds – as much as double the speeds quoted.
Downing Students endeavours to provide exceptional service at all times and will strive to resolve complaints at the earliest point.
- Downing Students will respond to all complaints in a professional manner. All complaints will be resolved promptly and we will endeavour to reach a satisfactory conclusion for both parties.
- If you are unhappy with our service or the manner in which we have dealt with any issues you can contact us by reporting the matter to the Halls Manager or by writing to Downing Students at 5 Myrtle Street Liverpool L7 7DN.
- We will send acknowledgement within 2 working days. Full details of our complaints procedure can be found in the T&Cs and in the student online induction.
Yes, all our accommodation has ample storage for bicycles.
Unfortunately there is no car parking available on site.
Yes, you will need a TV Licence. Anyone in the UK watching or recording television as it’s being broadcast or simulcast on any device – including mobiles, laptops and PCs – must, by law, be covered by a valid TV licence. Buying a TV Licence is your own responsibility and is not included in your rent.
Contents insurance is free and is provided by Endsleigh Insurance. You can take a look at the policy terms and conditions and find out what’s covered here. Any enquiries about contents insurance must be directed to Endsleigh on 0330 3030 280.
This is usually given to you when you enrol at University, or you can apply to your Students Services/Registrations office.
We will be happy to accept parcels on your behalf. We won’t accept anything we think may contain offensive, dangerous, illegal or illicit material, anything that’s too big or heavy for us to store or food deliveries. To pick up your parcels you’ll need to bring along some photo ID and sign for it. We’ll do our best to look after parcels safely but, in the unlikely event of something going wrong, we won’t be liable for any damage to, or loss from, any parcel that you’ve authorised us to accept on your behalf.
Children cannot stay over or live in the property.
All our shared apartments are allocated to Leeds University for first year students. If you require single sex occupation please contact the University direct.
At CitySide there are a small number of studios available for double occupancy at an additional charge of £250.
Sorry, no pets are allowed.
All our Studios and Ensuite Rooms will be furnished but bedding and personal linen (sheets, duvets, pillows, towels etc.) is not provided. ‘Double’ size bedding is suitable for beds in all Studios and Standard Ensuites. Beds measure approx. 120 x 190cm or 135cm x 190cm.
In a shared apartment there is a TV in the lounge area and all Studios have Smart TV.
All kitchens include microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge and freezer. Irons, ironing boards and vacuum cleaners are available. Kitchen utensils (crockery, cutlery, pans, etc.) are not provided.
You will not be allowed to bring your own fridges, tumble dryers, portable heaters or other large electrical appliances. Chip pans and deep fat fryers are forbidden, as is the use of candles.
You can order kitchen and bedding packs online to be delivered direct to your accommodation. Visit UniKitOut.com where you’ll be able to order from a range of essentials packs to suite your needs. The range of packs include bedding, linen, towels, cooking equipment, crockery, cleaning and stationery. You will need to allow time for delivery so place your order as soon as possible!
Remember to use discount code ‘DOWNING10′ at checkout to receive 10% off your order.
Note: Double bedding is suitable for all 3/4 beds. You can find your specific bedding measurements in the FAQ section ‘What do I need to bring?’
You can move in on or after the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ as specified in your tenancy agreement. We will write to you near to the time with more information about collecting your keys and our Reception opening hours.
You have to vacate your accommodation by 10am on the ‘Tenancy End Date’ as specified in your agreement. Anything left in your room after this time will be removed and disposed of.
You must take all your possessions with you when you leave at the end of your tenancy, even if you are returning to the same room for another year after the holidays. We do not accept any responsibility for anything you leave behind and you may be charged for removal and disposal.
If you wish to terminate your tenancy, we must be notified in writing and you must complete our Re Let Form. You will remain responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found or until the end of the tenancy (whichever is sooner). We will aim to find a new tenant who is both acceptable to us and who is prepared to meet the financial and legal requirements of the tenancy agreement at the current prevailing rent. We can’t always guarantee finding another tenant, as obviously this becomes more difficult as the academic year progresses, however, you are able to suggest a replacement to us. Please note that you will also need to cover all administration charges incurred in reassigning the tenancy. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
You have to vacate your accommodation by 11am on the ‘Tenancy End Date’ as specified in your agreement. Anything left in your room after this time will be removed and disposed of.
- 1. An ‘Academic year’ covers the period 1st September to 31st August. Provided you haven’t collected the keys to the accommodation, you may be able to cancel your booking by writing or sending an email to us at email@example.com, subject to the following terms:
- For bookings made before the 31st July for the next ‘academic year’ you may cancel your booking within 48 hours from the time of booking. If you chose to cancel your booking with Downing Students during the cancellation period we will retain £50 from the deposit paid in lieu of administration fees.
- For Bookings made between the 1st and 31st of August for the next academic year you will not be able to cancel.
- Bookings made in and for the current academic year may not be cancelled.
- In the instance where a deposit is paid and the offer of accommodation is declined i.e. the tenant fails to manually or digitally sign a Tenancy Agreement , we will retain £50 from the deposit in lieu of administration charges.
Subject to the cancellation periods stated above once you have signed your tenancy agreement you will be legally bound by the terms stipulated in your tenancy document.
2. Once the Cancellation Period has expired or if you have collected the keys for your accommodation you will be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the Tenancy Agreement and will be liable to pay all the amounts due. You cannot terminate, or be released from your Tenancy, until such time another full time student has entered into an agreement, with Downing Students, to rent your room. Please note that a room can only be re let at the higher of the rent specified on the tenancy agreement and the current prevailing rent. This may not necessarily be the same as the rent specified on the outgoing tenant’s agreement. Any outstanding amounts on your account must be paid in full prior to the landlord agreeing to re let your room. You are not permitted to sub let your room; all rental agreements must be made through Downing Students. In order for Downing Students to re let your room you must complete a Re let form and administration charges will apply.
3. No Place No Pay: Provided you have not collected your keys the following will apply:- If your offer of a place at your preferred/current University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades or passing your end of year exams, you may be eligible to be released from this agreement. You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a different University because you have exceeded your expected grades. To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of:
a written rejection letter from your chosen university /college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or
a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment.
These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published or by 1st September (which ever date is the sooner). Please email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. On receipt of the required documentation it will be verified and, provided we are satisfied, we will cancel your agreement and refund your deposit in full.
4. If you cannot get a VISA to study in the UK: Provided that you have NOT collected the keys, and you have evidence in writing that your application has been refused, we will release you from the tenancy and refund the deposit, provided that you send this evidence to us within 1 week of your notification.
If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you send us with evidence that you have not been granted a VISA, provided that we receive the evidence in writing within 1 week of your notification. If you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find a student to rent your room.
All Studios and Standard Ensuites are let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and the length of the tenancy will be set out in the Tenancy Agreement.
Yes, a Parent or legal Guardian resident in the UK must stand as Guarantor. The Guarantor is legally bound to pay any debts accrued during the tenancy if the tenant refuses to pay. Overseas Students who cannot provide a Guarantor please refer to the options provided on the payment tariff.
Downing Students is committed to making refunds in a timely manner.
All authorised refunds are returned to source i.e. the bank or card the payment originate from, and where source can be established.
It is recommended that the account/card from which payments are made remains in operation for the duration of the tenancy and a short time thereafter to facility a timely refund.
All refunds will be calculated in UK Sterling. Downing Students will not refund any shortfalls due to exchange rate fluctuations, or offer compensation for any bank /agent, or other charges incurred.
No refunds will be made in cash. For more details Click Here
Downing Students accepts payment by Mastercard and Visa debit and credit card, and Western Union.
All amounts due must be paid in UK Sterling.
Interest will be charged on late/overdue payments at 3% above the base rate of The Bank of England.
Don’t worry. By clicking on ‘Pay Now’ you are only submitting your details to the Card Processing Centre’s secure payment gateway. Payments will only be taken on the dates that have been specified.
If you need to change your card details please telephone +44 (0)151 707 4398 and ask for our Accounts department. You will need to allow at least 3 working days (i.e Monday to Friday) for any requested changes to be processed. Please ensure that you have all the relevant information to hand when calling.
Once you have signed for a room log on to the Downing Students Accommodation Hub to check your tenancy agreement for the due dates.
If you are thinking about renting from Downing Students please view the payment option and dates.
Rental is paid termly, in advance, by debit or credit card. Tenancy agreements cannot be completed by the Landlord until your payment card details have been provided. This information is needed to complete your online booking and can be given by yourself or by your guarantor.
Students who can’t provide a Guarantor who permanently resides in the UK, are required to pay their rent in advance in August, October, December and February. Please see the tariff for more details.
If you’re awaiting a student loan and can’t meet payments as scheduled you should contact us at least 48 hours (Monday to Friday) before the payment is due. You will be liable for all bank and administration charges incurred by the Landlord for failed payments and will be expected to reimburse the Landlord for these charges upon demand.
Yes, a deposit is required and will be held with the Deposit Protection Scheme. The deposit will be refundable at the end of your tenancy providing the property is left clean, damage free and in the same condition as at the start of your tenancy and that you have provided a copy of your Council Tax Exemption Certificate or your Registration Certificate. The deposit only becomes refundable at the end of the agreed tenancy, so if the main agreement is not completed we will consider the deposit as payment in lieu of expenses incurred. However, first year applicants with a conditional offer of a place (dependent on grades) will be refunded the deposit if they can show written confirmation from the University that they have not been successful in securing a place.
As you look forward to moving into CitySide you probably want to find out who you are living with in your apartment or get to know other students in the building. Downing Students has private Facebook groups to help you. Please like our Downing Students Facebook page to be updated when the group is open.
Unless otherwise stated, bedrooms are for single occupation only. Occasional overnight visitors will be allowed, at the discretion of the management, provided that no disturbance or inconvenience is caused to other occupants. You will be held fully responsible for the actions and behaviour of your visitors.
Whichever university you attend, it’s so easy to meet friends in our state-of-the-art common room where you can play games, watch a movie, listen to music or just relax with a book. There’s always something going on, so be sure to get involved with the range of ongoing social events.
At CitySide your safety is our priority, so we have CCTV, electronic security systems and a dedicated management team onsite 24/7 to help you. Check availability now and get your new uni term off to the best start, or have a look at how close we are.
Downing Student Life
Keep up to date with the latest student news with the Downing Student Blog. We’ve created this space for you to get the best advice about the things that matter most to you. Find up to date information on student news, student discounts and insider tips on your chosen student city. We’ve created this blog as your survival pack. It’s jam packed with all the essentials you’ll need during your time at University.