Applying for clearing: next steps towards university
By Sophie Anderson on July 15th, 2021
Results day is such a nerve-wracking and stressful time for most students. For those who didn’t quite reach their predicted grades, the idea of going through clearing can be extremely daunting.
We see students in this position every year and know exactly how overwhelming it can be when you’re met with the decision to go through clearing, so we’ve broken down the application process to make it as simple as possible!
How do I apply for clearing?
- Find your course: whatever your reason for going through clearing, it’s important to make sure you’ll be studying something you enjoy! Keep your mind open to alternative courses and research what else might be available that might spark your interest – remember, there is often more than one route into your chosen career. You can search for available courses on the UCAS website.
- Revisit your personal statement and applications: refresh your memory of what you’ve written in your previous applications. It will help prepare you for speaking to the admissions teams at the universities you’re wanting to apply to.
- University calls: have all of your information ready, including your UCAS number, clearing number and A-Level results, and get in contact with the admissions teams of the universities you’re interested in. The Uni Guide has some really helpful tips and advice on calling universities you can check out if you’re not sure how to approach them. Have a pen and paper handy and be prepared to take down lots of information!
- Get your new offer: once you have discussed your grades and why you would be perfect for your newly chosen course, the admissions team will be able to tell you whether they will accept you or not. Remember, at this point, you will usually only have 24 hours to accept or look elsewhere, so be prepared to think fast and ensure you’re happy with your final decision
- Enter your new choice onto the UCAS Track system: you can speak to as many universities as you want to investigate all the options out there, but remember you will only be able to add one choice onto the UCAS track system. Think carefully and make sure you’re choosing wisely, and don’t add your choice until you have received an offer by phone or email!
Clearing and accommodation
You’ve made your university choice, now it’s time to decide where to live. Despite many university accommodation spots being booked early on, don’t panic, there will still be lots of available options for you to ensure your university experience is everything you want it to be.
- Make sure you’re using a trusted accommodation provider: it may be tempting to panic and look at websites like Gumtree or even Facebook Marketplace, but only a well-known, respected provider will be able to give you value for money, safety, and an ideal commutable location from your university. Remember location is key, being close to campus has major benefits – lectures and student social events are easier to get to and you’re not having to pay huge travel costs to get in and out of the city.
- Ask your university: if you’re stuck, ask your university for advice and they should be able to give you a list of recommendations or trusted private landlords that will be able to help.
- Don’t settle for less: university is set to be some of the best years of your life, so make sure you’re in accommodation you can enjoy! If you’re going to a new city, look for places that hold regular events to ensure you can make the most of your student life. But, select a space which is not only good for your social calendar, but also has your safety and wellbeing in mind!
Our accommodation breaks the mould for student accommodation. Stylish, state-of-the-art facilities is our standard in prime city centre locations close to university campuses. Our facilities include gyms, cinema rooms, games rooms, private dining areas and dedicated study areas. We have everything you need to make the most out of student life including a jam-packed events calendar full of exciting new experiences where you can meet people and have lots of fun. All of this is provided in safe communities with experienced teams to support you making sure you can focus on what’s important – your studies!
To find out more about what accommodation is still available and whether we can help you whilst you’re going through clearing, get in touch with our team.
Downing Student Life
Visit our blog
23rd September 2022
Starting university is such a huge step and it’s natural to feel a wave...
14th September 2022
What is a Downing Students Content Creator? If you have a love for social,...
6th September 2022
The big move in weekend is just around the corner for Downing...
26th August 2022
Student Living Expenses in the UK Managing money isn’t easy, especially when you are...